As the world struggles with the COVID-19 pandemic, there has been a considerable surge in the number of fraudulent 'phishing' emails as spammers and scammers use the situation to take advantage of people. Phishing is when criminals send convincing looking fraudulent emails to get you to give them your personal information.
At Mattioli Woods, we always put the safety of our clients first and we will never ask you for your passwords in an email or ask you to transfer funds to an account without personal contact by your client relationship manager or consultant.
We have processes in place to assist in countering fraud, which are reviewed on an ongoing basis. You therefore may be contacted when we are asked for payments to be made to/by a third party.
In order to assist you, we are sharing the following precautionary information that will help you protect yourself against potential threats:
- Do not open emails you do not recognise
- Do not click on websites, links contained in suspicious emails or open attachments - any links to Mattioli Woods web pages will include 'mattioliwoods.com' or 'mattioli-woods.com'
- Never give out personal details (e.g. username, password, banking details) - we will never email you asking for your personal or security information
- Keep your antivirus and firewall software up-to-date
- Check the email address - is it the same as the email address you usually receive emails from, or only similar? Our emails always end in @mattioliwoods.com
- Check the web address - in emails, website addresses may appear genuine on first sight, but if you hover your mouse pointer over the link without clicking, it may reveal a different web address
- Check the email subject line - anything along the lines of "secure message", "important information required", "verify or update your details"
- Be suspicious of any message that creates a sense of urgency, such as 'If you don't respond within 48 hours, your account will be suspended'. A legitimate company will not create a false sense of urgency
- Check the grammar and spelling for mistakes or inconsistencies